Haiti On Demand – Cuisine: Although Haitian cuisine is largely based on Creole and French cooking styles, throughout its history several foreign countries gained control of Haiti, introducing food and ideas from their native lands. … In general, the average Haitian diet is largely based on starch staples such as rice, corn, millet, yams and beans.
List of Haitian dishes, sides and others
- Cassave or Kasav (flatbread made out of dried, processed bitter cassava, sometimes flavored with sweetened coconut.
- Chocolat des Cayes or Chokola La Kaye (homemade cocoa)
- Doukounou (sweet cornmeal pudding)
- Du riz blanche a sause pois noir or Diri blan ak sos pwa nwa (White rice and black bean sauce)
- Du riz djon djon or Diri ak djon djon (Rice in black mushroom sauce)
- Du riz a légume or Diri ak legim (Rice with Legumes)
- Du riz a pois or Diri ak pwa (Rice and beans)
- Du riz a pois rouges or Diri ak pwa wouj (Rice and red beans)
- Du riz a sauce pois or Diri ak sos pwa (Rice with bean sauce)
- Griot (seasoned fried pork with scallions and peppers in a bitter orange sauce)
- Macaroni au Gratin (macaroni and cheese)
- Pain Haïtien (Haitian Bread)
- Pâté Haïtien (Haitian patty) – A very popular savory snack made with a delicate puff pastry stuffed with ground beef, salted cod (bacalao), smoked herring, chicken, and ground turkey topped with spices for a bold and spicy unique flavor.
- Peanut Pralines
- Picklese or Pikliz (a slaw-like condiment made with spicy pickled cabbage, onion, carrot, and Scotch bonnet peppers)
- Salade de Betteraves (Beet salad)
- Sauce Ti-Malice or Sos Ti-Malice (a spicy tangy sauce usually served over Griot or Cabrit)
- Soup joumou
- Tassot et bananes pesées or Taso ak bannann peze (Fried Goat and fried plantains)
- Poul an Sòs (Chicken in Creole Sauce)